1) Leave the running shoes at home (this may seem obvious, but you would not believe how many people I've seen in the past few days trying to navigate the slushy snow in footwear other than boots.)
2) Consciously tighten your tummy muscles. This will support your back and protect it from any pulls or strains from any unexpected slips.
3) Plastic bags inside leaky boots will keep your feet dry. I thought this was cheesy until I tried it myself... ahhh! Dry feet.
4) Like I say to my kids: "Arms out like an airplane for balance!"
5) Stomping gives you better traction.
6 years ago